Lead Digital Producer
Who the company is:
Here at Portable we care about the world. We seek out areas of social need and policy failure and use our expertise in research, design and technology to make a positive impact for our community. Our clients are as passionate as we are and work in government agencies and nonprofit organisations. Our job is to help them define, design and deliver new products, services and ways of working. There are over 50 full time staff at Portable and our producers are a vital part of our processes, making sure our designers and developers have the resources and space to produce great work.
You could be one if...
Leading production teams and structuring projects for success is your thing. A Lead Producer is an authority in the Production team at Portable, delivering high quality work and guiding other digital producers towards quality outcomes, best practice methods and the company’s strategic priorities.
As Lead Producer, you’ll have the technical skills to execute large projects across digital and design and demonstrated leadership skills to guide and improve the Production team. Working with the Head of Production and our other Lead Producer you’ll ensure projects are staffed, planned and delivered with the right people at the right time. You’ll know the tools and the processes inside and out and will take an active part of the development of the Production discipline and the skills of the producers within it.
Most of all, you are an experienced leader with a deep knowledge of digital and design execution and a collaborative, inclusive approach. In this role you will lead up to five senior and mid level producers, leveraging your past experience to drive their professional growth and outcomes. You will also actively contribute to our broader leadership team, which spans design, technology and business operations. As part of this team, you’ll share your leadership experiences to grow the group, whilst further developing your own skills through monthly coaching from our in-house psychologist.
Key outcomes of your role:
As a Lead Digital Producer, you will be expected to deliver the following outcomes:
- High quality project work that clearly demonstrates meeting the needs of users and our clients
- Projects are set up and delivered by the right people in the right time frame and on budget
- The people you lead are engaged and growing
- Production team members are engaged in contributing to business activities
- The strategy for Production is informed by, and connected to, the company-wide strategy (this is led by the Head of Production, with support from Leads)
- The Production practice is regularly improved through the contribution of new tools, processes, methodologies and approaches
If you were here last week, you would have:
- Run a workshop with the Production team, guiding them through a new process to improve how we onboard new work
- Spoken with our Business Development team about an imminent mental health project so you could relay the details to your team and help them kick off the project
- Reviewed and given feedback on a Statement of Work for one of your team members, identifying key risks, dependencies and opportunities and mapping out the timeline and deliverables for the client
- Helped guide one of your team members through a challenge they were facing in your weekly one-on-one, whilst sharing constructive feedback to help them grow
- Attended the weekly resourcing meeting to contribute to the allocation of projects between disciplines and skill sets
- Attended our fortnightly leadership meeting and shared your health of your projects and team
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- Demonstrated people leadership experience in a company of similar size
- An in-depth knowledge of digital and agency project production, including a broad knowledge of waterfall and agile methodologies
- Extensive project management experience including all relevant tools
- Large scale project delivery experience of projects $500K - $1m range
- Product management experience (desirable)
The salary range for this role is between $120,000 - $140,000 plus super, depending on your level of experience. We are committed to building a diverse and equal team and people from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
To be considered, please send us your resume and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Tell us about a leadership problem that you’ve had to work through and overcome
- Tell us about a large internal change project you’ve run in production. How did it go? What were some of the challenges?
- Tell us about the most difficult client or stakeholder problem you’ve solved. What happened, and what did you do about it? What made it so hard?