Portable is growing and we are looking for passionate and motivated people to join our awesome team! We encourage anyone located in Australia to invest some of their time to explore our new opportunities, your location is not an issue to us.
Who are we and why work with us?
Here at Portable we care about the world. We seek out areas of social need and policy failure and use our expertise in research, design and technology to make a positive impact for our community. Our clients are as passionate as we are and work in government agencies and nonprofit organisations. Our job is to help them define, design and deliver new products, services and ways of working to improve life for all Australians.
There are currently 65+ of us working as researchers, strategists, designers, developers, producers and visionaries towards our mission from our office in Collingwood and working remotely from home
We’re looking for a mid-level developer to join our team and contribute our projects and technology discipline. You have probably spent a few years programming and can build small to medium sized web applications, but still might get stuck when trying to make ongoing changes to a project over a longer period of time and are looking for ways to make the software that you write more extensible without introducing bugs at the same time.
This might be the right role for you if…
You are able to get the job done independently most of the time, but can see quickly when you need to seek support and guidance, and do so proactively. Your focus is on your project work, and enjoy working with multidisciplinary teams of design, developers and producers.
You also might have started to make a contribution to your team, actively participating in retros, planning sessions and being involved in other project and company rituals.
You also demonstrate excellent teamwork and communication and are proactive in identifying gaps in your capability. You also use feedback you receive to keep getting better at your technical craft and show a strong desire to learn. They also share their feedback willingly. You excel in managing your time and priorities, as well as communicating clearly in written and verbal communications.
As an agency we have a number of projects running in different technical stacks:
We favour React, but have worked with Vue. We like Laravel, but have worked in NestJS and other frameworks. We create amazing things using WordPress and SilverStripe.
An example of what a week at Portable as a Mid-level Website Developer might look like:
- Reviewing a few pull requests to help individuals and the team grow with their ability to commit good code to projects
- Pairing and being mentored by senior and lead developers to help with your growth professionally as a developer
- Contributing to and chairing our PTX (Portable Technology Experience) meetings where we discuss, have workshops and generally look at how we go about development at Portable as a team
- Collaborating with project managers to sense check the scope for features on a new project
- Spending some time writing code - implementing new APIs for a justice project and adding new elements to the UI components for a public sector project
- Deploying the public sector project - and sticking around to make sure the deployment was successful
- Participating in a design & ideation workshop with Luke, our Design Strategist and Law Researcher for a legal project
- Worked with the team to do some sprint planning, writing up some tickets in Jira
In 2020 we launched an ODR (Online Dispute Resolution) product into public beta testing with Legal Aid NSW in order to provide a simpler way for couples to split amicably. Some of the key technical pieces included deploying the infrastructure on AWS using the serverless framework in conjunction with CloudFormation to fill in other required services. There was also a significant piece of work in which a python application running on ElasticBeanstalk provides predictions on asset splits by training a machine learning algorithm with historical anonymised data.
The salary range for this role is between $75,000 - $95,000, depending on your level of experience. We are committed to building a diverse and equal team - people from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
To be considered, please send us your resume and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Tell us about something that you’ve been learning recently. What is it, how are you learning it and what made you decide to learn this thing?
- What’s a challenging technical problem you or your team have solved? What made it challenging, how did you solve it and what part did you play?
- Tell us about a great working relationship you’ve had with someone. How did you work together? What’s something you learned from that experience?