Portable is searching for passionate and motivated people to join our awesome team! With offices in Melbourne, Sydney & Adelaide, and flexible hybrid or remote working conditions, we encourage anyone located in Australia to invest some of their time to explore our new opportunities.
Our mission is to seek out areas of social need and policy failure and make transformational change using design and technology. We believe that government, organisations and businesses can be forces for good. But there’s a gap in their understanding of, and ability to meet, the expectations of those in need of positive change. Our job is to use design and technology to narrow the gap between those with the power and responsibility to make a positive change, and those who need it.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Very experienced with developing and supporting full-stack web applications; working with PHP, NodeJS, Typescript (React/Nextjs is a bonus!), and has very strong web fundamentals
- Able to work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams of designers, developers and producers
- Seeking opportunities to learn, and helps others by providing feedback
- Able to communicate clearly to a broad range of stakeholders, both in person and in writing
You may have also had experience in frontend frameworks such as React or VueJS for implementing highly interactive features as part of your full stack applications, or have configured secure deployment pipelines to AWS and Docker environments.
You've used Content Management Systems to form the basis of a web application, and have developed custom integrations on top of these systems. Experience in Silverstripe CMS or Laravel is advantageous.
An example of what a week at Portable as a Senior Developer might look like:
- Writing code - implementing new APIs for a justice project, adding new elements to the UI components (and writing end-to-end tests!) for a public sector project
- Working with the team to scope, plan and define the technical approach for a new project
- Collaborating with the producer to do sprint planning, writing up some tickets in Jira and thinking about how you could break up the tasks to give some learning opportunities to junior developers.
- Pairing and mentoring on a feature with a mid-level or junior developer, to provide directed advice and guidance that will help them grow professionally as a developer
- Reviewing a few pull requests to help individuals and the team grow with their ability to commit good code to projects
- Running one of our fortnightly Deep Dive sessions, helping other developers at Portable increase their skill in a technology you're interested in
- Scoping new work with our Business Development Specialist, helping think through what the project would take to implement, and how much we should bid for it
The salary range for this role is between $110,000 - $145,000, depending on your level of experience.
Other benefits include:
- Flexible working conditions
- Bonus annual leave based on tenure
- Paid volunteering leave
- Option to purchase additional leave
- Employee share scheme
- Annual professional development budget
- Access to our Emerging Leaders program and a range of other professional development initiatives
We are committed to building a diverse and equal team - people from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
To be considered, please send us your resume and a brief cover letter addressing why you would be a great fit for the role and want to work at Portable.